Sjava, it has been reported that the Pay-TV network has pulled his nominations of DStv Mzansi Viewers’ Choice Awards!ollowing reports that MultiChoice was weighing its options to pull the plug on
Earlier this week the Cape Town International Jazz Festival also shut the door on Sjava being part of one of the world’s biggest Jazz events to shape the African continent.
READ BELOW FOR BACKGROUND:
“The DStv Mzansi Viewers’ Choice Awards has decided to withdraw the nomination of local artist Jabulani Hadebe popularly known as Sjava, from this year’s awards,” said Reggy Moalusi, executive head of corporate affairs at MultiChoice South Africa – as quoted by the Sowetan.
“This as a result of an ongoing investigation into the local performer by the authorities.
“The decision to remove Sjava’s eligibility, including canceling his performance at the awards is not one that has been made lightly, but we believe is in the best interest of all parties concerned.”
He was nominated at the DStv Mzansi Viewers’ Choice Awards for favorite musicians against hits such as Sho Madjozi, Prince Kaybee, Dr. Tumi and King Monada.
His song Umama was also nominated for the Song of the Year.
His performance for the evening of the awards has also been benumbed.
On Wednesday, MultiChoice publicist Ntabeseng Motsei said they were not ready to make an official statement on the matter.
It was further reported that the delay in making the decision was due to consultations between MultiChoice lawyers, the production team involved in the awards and Jabulani Hadebe’s management.
On Tuesday Cape Town International Jazz Festival director Billy Domingo said that due to the serious nature of the allegation leveled against Sjava, the festival management has decided to cancel the artist’s performance at the 2020 festival.
“Over the last 20 years, the Cape Town International Jazz Festival (CTIJF) has provided a platform to empower and showcase female artists,” festival director Billy Domingo said.
“As the investigation is still ongoing, the festival is not in a position to comment further at this stage. Any changes to the festival line-up will be communicated in time.”
The festival’s decision comes after Sunday reports that a rape case against the Umama hit-maker was opened last November by ex-girlfriend and fellow musician Lady Zamar.