etro FM presenter and Idols SA judge Somizi Mhlongo’s case of contravening the Disaster Management Act was on Friday postponed until the 23rd of July for further investigation!
According to the Sowetan, the case was also postponed to allow for the outcome of representations made by Somizi Mhlongo’s legal team to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).
In April MGOSI.co.za reported that South Africa’s Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula went to the Sandton Police Station to open a case against Somizi Mhlongo for contravention of the Government Lockdown Regulations!
“MINISTER MBALULA TAKES ACTION AGAINST NAME DROPPING AND MISINFORMATION BY SOMIZI MHLONGO Minister Mbalula will be at Sandton Police Station Friday morning to report the contravention of the Government Lockdown Regulations as Venue: Sandton Police Station Time: 10:00 am,” reads a statement issued by the Department of Transport then.
Somizi Mhlongo appeared on Dineo Ranaka’s Instagram Live telling her that the lockdown will be extended, just ahead of the announcement by the Presidency.
Somizi Mhlongo said that he had heard the information from “Fikile”, just before Dineo abruptly stopped her live broadcast she confirmed with him and asked “Mbaks”?
“my apologies for a bad joke…and to min @fikilembalula,” wrote Somizi.
He said that earlier on he was having a chat at work (Metro FM) with Dineo Ranaka “jokingly” and that he thinks it was a bad “joke” as he was scaring her.
“… Dineo asked who told us and I said Fikile Mbalula told me… she was live on Instagram. Then later when I said to her I was joking I didn’t speak to Fikile, I’m just scaring you…” said Somizi Mhlongo.
Somizi Mhlongo who has since apologized was apprehended and released on a bail of R1500.
Fikile Mbalula, in accepting Somizi’s apology said that he spoke with him and he was not even “aware what his joke could mean” for the Minister if it was true.