SA Amapiano Awards have been followed by dramatic events since its launch. Recently the organization has been served with cease and desist all use Amapiano Awards intellectual property!he newly launched
Gani Mayet Attorneys said (in a letter) that their client has furnished them with various correspondence, documentation, text message trails, and registration documentation which form the subject matter of the letter “Cease and desist”.
There are claims that the head of communications of Amapiano Awards, DJ Qness stole the concept.
“Our client is Amapiano Awards, a Non-profit company which was registered in and during October 2019, as well as the Amapiano Foundation registered in and during November 2020, which principal objective being the upliftment and empowerment of creatives from disadvantaged backgrounds by generating visibility for artists both locally and internationally, increase the market reach for the genre both locally and internationally while further giving these creatives an international platform to showcase their talents. All registration documentation are attached to this letter for ease of confirmation,” reads the letter from Gani Mayet Attorneys.
The lawyers further stated that it has since been discovered that their client’s concept for the Amapiano Awards has without authorization or consent been replicated and rebranded to the “South African Amapiano Awards”.
In light of the above, Gani Mayet Attorneys demanded the following from SA Amapiano Awards:
- Cease and desist all use of our client’s intellectual property in and to the Amapiano Awards;
- Delete all social and mainstream media posts and/or pages that feature any mention of the SA Amapiano Awards;
- Detract and withdraw any public statements and/or articles and/or advertisements of the SA Amapiano Awards;
- Cease and desist from moving forward with the holding of the SA Amapiano Awards on its scheduled date and on any future date thereafter;
- Furnish us with all registration documentation proving the legitimacy of your organization
Gani Mayet Attorneys further demanded that the SA Amapiano awards furnish their client with the following:
- A confirmation that the SA Amapiano Awards will not proceed;
- An undertaking that you have removed all mention, promotion, and advertising of the SA Amapiano Awards from both mainstream and social media;
- A public apology and retraction.